Suzuki GW250 Center Stand installation - Suzuki GW250 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suzuki GW250 Center Stand installation

I found a write-up about installation of the Suzuki GW250 center stand on webBikeWorld. Here is a gloss over it and then I'll put a link at the end for you guys.

The Suzuki GW250 was built for a center stand, but you'll have to buy it separately. The kit costs $115.95, which really isn't that bad.

The kit itself only has a few parts and an instruction manual inside. In order to install the center stand, you'll need a 12mm and 14mm box wrench and sockets, a torque wrench and a bit of grease. A screwdriver is handy to lever the springs into place. Suzuki says to use its own "Super Grease A".

Quote:
The basic installation procedure is to first remove the right side exhaust can, which attaches to the bike at the exhaust header and with a bolt up along the back. It's easier to remove than I anticipated by simply unfastening the two bolts.

Next, there's a bushing that goes through the hole or tube in the center stand. The stand rotates on this bushing and a long bolt holds it in place in the GW250's frame. Coat the bushing with the grease and slide it into the center stand. Then slide the stand up between the two tabs on the GW250 frame and slide the bolt through. Tighten it to 60 Nm (43.5 ft. lbs.) and you're half-way done.

Put some grease on the hooks of the springs and lay the "J" brackets on top of the tube of the center stand; there's a notch for each. Hold the center stand up and attach one spring, then the other.
To finish up the installation you must insert the rubber stop in the hangar on the left side of the bike. Use some WD-40 if you have trouble with it. Re-install the exhaust and then make sure everything is tightened.

Be careful the first time you use the center stand; keep a tight grip on the handles just in case it falls over.

Quote:
The Suzuki GW250 center stand is surprisingly easy to install and well worth it at the $115.95 list price. You can install it in about 1/2 hour or I'd guess the dealer will charge 1-2 hours shop time.

Either way, it's a very well made piece that adds a lot of utility to the bike and I can highly recommend the option.
Suzuki GW250 Center Stand Review and Installation - webBikeWorld
post #2 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
yes i have bought the center stand, here Mexico his cost is 61 USD, very chip, comparing whit your cost,......

it is good for the maintenance (oil service, chain service) and to wash too...
post #3 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
center stand is essential!

post #4 of 13 Old 04-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Not bad at all, being that cheap just about everyone should be buying these.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Do you think you'd be able to just buy a center stand when you buy the GW250, and then get the dealer to install it for you? I'm not against doing it myself, but if I can get it done by someone else for super cheap I wouldn't protest.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
yes i have bought the center stand, here Mexico his cost is 61 USD, very chip, comparing whit your cost,......

it is good for the maintenance (oil service, chain service) and to wash too...
That is the only reason to have a center stand the way I see it. Makes things so much easier. Especially draining oil and getting underneath.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-28-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter090 View Post
Do you think you'd be able to just buy a center stand when you buy the GW250, and then get the dealer to install it for you? I'm not against doing it myself, but if I can get it done by someone else for super cheap I wouldn't protest.
I am sure you could, assuming you trust your dealer - I don't mine!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 09:09 AM

i there was uninstalled the center stand because this has gap, when i drive on highways or avenues ups and down the center stand hit the rubber support, again and again.......
i think the spring needs to have more strength or vigor......
i would want to install the center stand when i need it, but that is not apropiate, because i would need to uninstall the exhaust every time...... so i installed the center stand again...and i will put an rubber or plastic padlock to avoid the center stand motion...

i hope you understand.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
i there was uninstalled the center stand because this has gap, when i drive on highways or avenues ups and down the center stand hit the rubber support, again and again.......
i think the spring needs to have more strength or vigor......
Sounds like the springs did not have enough tension. All center stands will start doing what you describe after a few years and it is because of the springs wearing out. I just recently replaced the springs on my scoot for this reason. Odd that they did it from the get go but it is possible yours were weak from the factory. I recommend you try replacing the springs and see if that helps.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 AM

yes, you understand me.....i know, but the center stand is new, may be i will go to let the warranty...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page