My first oil change - Suzuki GW250 Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-31-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool My first oil change

Just changed the oil on the new GW for the first time after 80km of high load break-in. Here are my thoughts:

I like that the oil and filter can be changed without anything getting in the way. Even the Sensor the manual says to remove is not actually in the way.
While the side mounted drain plug makes wrenching really easy, hot, thin oil shoots a long way out of the drain hole. Be sure to have your drain pan suitably located.
Why Suzuki has to make their oil filter a slightly different size than the industry norms is beyond me. Be sure to have the proprietary 'Suzuki' filter wrench or decent filter pliers. If you have to improvise, like I did, a large channel-lock pliers will do the trick.
I noted that the filter I picked up at the dealer has a different part number than the original. Likely a geographical thing, but worth looking into.

All-in-all, a very easy and simple oil change! I'd suggest anyone with space to store a drain pan pick up a filter wrench, measuring cup, and of course a drain pan, get an OEM filter and a jug of Shell Rotella-T and do you own oil changes. Not only will you save some $$, but you'll have a whole lot more intimate relationship with your bike.
FJRGuy is offline  
post #2 of 8 Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
a drain pan or something to drain the oil into that has a filter might be something to also consider just to check for metal shavings out of curiosity.
suzu is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRGuy View Post
Just changed the oil on the new GW for the first time after 80km of high load break-in. Here are my thoughts:

I like that the oil and filter can be changed without anything getting in the way. Even the Sensor the manual says to remove is not actually in the way.
While the side mounted drain plug makes wrenching really easy, hot, thin oil shoots a long way out of the drain hole. Be sure to have your drain pan suitably located.
Why Suzuki has to make their oil filter a slightly different size than the industry norms is beyond me. Be sure to have the proprietary 'Suzuki' filter wrench or decent filter pliers. If you have to improvise, like I did, a large channel-lock pliers will do the trick.
I noted that the filter I picked up at the dealer has a different part number than the original. Likely a geographical thing, but worth looking into.

All-in-all, a very easy and simple oil change! I'd suggest anyone with space to store a drain pan pick up a filter wrench, measuring cup, and of course a drain pan, get an OEM filter and a jug of Shell Rotella-T and do you own oil changes. Not only will you save some $$, but you'll have a whole lot more intimate relationship with your bike.
What made you choose the high load break in vs. the longer duration break in period? out of necessity or knowledge.
texas250step is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I know people like a high load break in because it is known to build pressure to seat the piston rings, which for the long term is good as you might not experience any issues with the engine. variation is needed.
suzu is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago, USA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I bought a new filter and the wrench for the spring oil change after winter prep. Some of the posts I've been reading recommend changing the oil drain plug crush washer also. Thoughts on this? Is there a part # for the GW250, or is it generic to all Suzuki motorcycles?
Bluto is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You can never go wrong with replacing the crush washer, it's cheap.
suzu is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas250step View Post
What made you choose the high load break in vs. the longer duration break in period? out of necessity or knowledge.
Out of Knowledge.
FJRGuy is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzu View Post
You can never go wrong with replacing the crush washer, it's cheap.
+1
... and oil leaks cab end up being very costly.
FJRGuy is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome