My first oil change - Suzuki GW250 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-31-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cool My first oil change

Just changed the oil on the new GW for the first time after 80km of high load break-in. Here are my thoughts:

I like that the oil and filter can be changed without anything getting in the way. Even the Sensor the manual says to remove is not actually in the way.
While the side mounted drain plug makes wrenching really easy, hot, thin oil shoots a long way out of the drain hole. Be sure to have your drain pan suitably located.
Why Suzuki has to make their oil filter a slightly different size than the industry norms is beyond me. Be sure to have the proprietary 'Suzuki' filter wrench or decent filter pliers. If you have to improvise, like I did, a large channel-lock pliers will do the trick.
I noted that the filter I picked up at the dealer has a different part number than the original. Likely a geographical thing, but worth looking into.

All-in-all, a very easy and simple oil change! I'd suggest anyone with space to store a drain pan pick up a filter wrench, measuring cup, and of course a drain pan, get an OEM filter and a jug of Shell Rotella-T and do you own oil changes. Not only will you save some $$, but you'll have a whole lot more intimate relationship with your bike.
post #2 of 8 Old 10-31-2014, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
a drain pan or something to drain the oil into that has a filter might be something to also consider just to check for metal shavings out of curiosity.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJRGuy View Post
Just changed the oil on the new GW for the first time after 80km of high load break-in. Here are my thoughts:

I like that the oil and filter can be changed without anything getting in the way. Even the Sensor the manual says to remove is not actually in the way.
While the side mounted drain plug makes wrenching really easy, hot, thin oil shoots a long way out of the drain hole. Be sure to have your drain pan suitably located.
Why Suzuki has to make their oil filter a slightly different size than the industry norms is beyond me. Be sure to have the proprietary 'Suzuki' filter wrench or decent filter pliers. If you have to improvise, like I did, a large channel-lock pliers will do the trick.
I noted that the filter I picked up at the dealer has a different part number than the original. Likely a geographical thing, but worth looking into.

All-in-all, a very easy and simple oil change! I'd suggest anyone with space to store a drain pan pick up a filter wrench, measuring cup, and of course a drain pan, get an OEM filter and a jug of Shell Rotella-T and do you own oil changes. Not only will you save some $$, but you'll have a whole lot more intimate relationship with your bike.
What made you choose the high load break in vs. the longer duration break in period? out of necessity or knowledge.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-03-2014, 06:47 PM

I know people like a high load break in because it is known to build pressure to seat the piston rings, which for the long term is good as you might not experience any issues with the engine. variation is needed.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM

I bought a new filter and the wrench for the spring oil change after winter prep. Some of the posts I've been reading recommend changing the oil drain plug crush washer also. Thoughts on this? Is there a part # for the GW250, or is it generic to all Suzuki motorcycles?
post #6 of 8 Old 11-07-2014, 06:30 PM

You can never go wrong with replacing the crush washer, it's cheap.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-11-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas250step View Post
What made you choose the high load break in vs. the longer duration break in period? out of necessity or knowledge.
Out of Knowledge.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-11-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzu View Post
You can never go wrong with replacing the crush washer, it's cheap.
+1
... and oil leaks cab end up being very costly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page