LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
adjust rear preload

hello friends..

do you know what position for preload rear i need to have if am 1.7 meters and 65 kg..????

the standard position is 3, by factory.... but how do it adjust for each one ????
is there a range by weight????

regards..
post #2 of 20 Old 04-29-2014, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
hello friends..

do you know what position for preload rear i need to have if am 1.7 meters and 65 kg..????

the standard position is 3, by factory.... but how do it adjust for each one ????
is there a range by weight????

regards..
well it all depends on what you feel you need? Is it too soft and you feel like you're sagging too much/bottoming out easy? or do you feel its too stiff, not compressing and trying to buck you? Factory setting is usually relatively neutral.

You should have a wrench in the tool kit, its just a couple clicks in either direction, the shock should say itself which way is which...

gw250 shock.PNG

Last edited by Group B; 04-29-2014 at 03:56 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
yes i know how to adjust, but my question is, what position should be to have according the biker weight?

post #4 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
yes i know how to adjust, but my question is, what position should be to have according the biker weight?
I cant tell you an exact setting as it varies by bike, but I can tell you that ideally you want 30 mm of squat once you sit on the bike...

Quote:
Step 1: First find the fully UNLOADED length of your rear suspension. Put your bike on its centre stand. If you do not have a centre stand find a means of lifting the rear wheel up under the engine so that there is no weight (including the weight of the bike) on the rear axle and wheel. Measure the distance between the rear axle and a fixed point directly above like a bolt or mark. Note this measure measurement. Do not use a rear wheel bike stand as there is still the weight of the bike on the swing arm.

Step 2: Find the NORMAL length of you rear suspension. This is amount the suspension drops under the weigh of the bike alone without the rider. Put the bike on level ground and bounce it up and down to free any stickiness. Measure between the same two points as above, i.e. the rear axle and the fixed point directly above.

Step 3: Find the fully LOADED length of your rear suspension. This is the length of the suspension with the rear wheel on level ground and the rider seated on it in his normal riding position in full biking garb. First bounce up and down on the seat to loosen the suspension then get into your normal riding position with all weight on the bike and both feet on the bike. To prevent yourself from falling of (if you have not already) lean the bike against a wall and get your mate to measure between the same two points as above i.e. rear axle and the fixed point directly above.

So figure that rider sag is the difference between fully unloaded (step 1) and loaded (step 3, you on it). Ideally you want 30-40mm of rider sag. Another way to measure is by Static sag, which is the difference between fully unloaded (step 1) and normal unloaded (step 2, bike on the ground)

Quote:
Therefore if your rider sag is less than 30 mm then your preload is too hard, if it is more than 40 mm, then it is a bit soft. Once you have set your rider sag as close as possible to 30-40 mm, next check your static sag. If you have more than 10mm then you may need stiffer springs. If however, if your static sag is less than 5mm or you have no static sag then your springs may be too hard for your weight.
Hopefully this helps...
post #5 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
thank you friend....
post #6 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
In the end I think it is just up to personal preference, trial and error. Tighten or loosed it and test it out. You should be able to test it out and figure out which setting you prefer. Let us know once you figure it out
post #7 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
it also depends on preference. there is no perfect preload adjustment

varies from rider to rider and riding style as well.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
thank you friend....
no worries , lets us know how you get everything sorted...
post #9 of 20 Old 05-02-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
@Roger

do you notice anything wrong with the rear suspension right now ?
post #10 of 20 Old 05-02-2014, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
@Roger

do you notice anything wrong with the rear suspension right now ?
i feel that so hard.....the rebound is so fast..like the seat push me up.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page