LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 Suzuki GS500F For Starters Bike?

Quote:
For 2006, the GS500F is back, boasting an unrivaled combination of exciting real-world performance and sporty styling - including a full sport fairing inspired by Suzuki’s world-class sport bikes.

Just learning to ride? The GS500F is the ideal bike for you! It has outstanding maneuverability, thanks to its low seat height and light weight. And if you’ve been riding for a while, you’ll really appreciate the GS500F’s all-around sport performance. Its twin-cylinder engine offers strong acceleration and quick, clean throttle response. With its well-padded seat and smooth suspension, it also provides a comfortable ride on the highway.

Key Features

Versatile entry-level model styled with a full fairing for increased rider comfort and an aggressive sport look

Engine Features

Proven four-stroke, twin cylinder, 487cc, air-cooled DOHC engine for dependable and economical operation

Smooth-shifting 6-speed transmission and cable-operated clutch with gear ratios suitable for in-town or highway use

Twin 34mm Mikuni carburetors for smooth power delivery, strong acceleration and fuel efficiency

Reliable CDI ignition and maintenance-free battery

Air-cooled oil cooler for more consistent engine operating temperature and increased engine durability

Sport-styled 2-into-1 exhaust system tuned for strong low-to-mid rpm engine performance - California model equipped with catalyst to further reduce emissions

Chassis Features

Sport-styled 2-into-1 exhaust system tuned for strong low-to-mid rpm engine performance - California model equipped with catalyst to further reduce emissions

Tube-type handlebars, low center of gravity and low 31 inch seat height for increased versatility and rider comfort

Large 5.3 gallon fuel tank combined with fuel-efficient engine provide long range operation for commuting or pleasure riding

Telescopic front fork and link-type rear suspension with adjustable preload provide a comfortable ride for commuting or pleasure riding

Strong braking performance - single disc front brake with large 310mm rotor and four-piston caliper, plus single disc rear brake with two-piston caliper

Durable 110/70-17 front tire and 130/ 70-17 rear tire mounted on lightweight cast aluminum wheels
Been thinking of getting a 06' gs500f instead of the new gw250. I feel as if maybe I skip getting a lower displacement and start with a 500cc instead so I don;t get bored easily. What do you guys think? Have any of you look in to doing the same?
post #2 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
How much does the GS500F go for?

hey if you can afford more CC and you plan to upgrade anyways why not

500 is still not too over the top to start with.
Sonnen likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM
KDB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Air cooled vs. liquid
Carbs vs. GW250 fuel injection
???s to ponder...

For me, I'd rather have newer tech & reliability. I'm never going to be racing anyone, nor do I ever have a need to go any faster on the top end than the 85-90 mph of the GW250.
Sonnen likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
If it comes cheaper or for the same price as the GW250, I'd say go for it. Its also a good base on which you can add after market parts if you'd like to. I'd say its more about the price than the extra power though.
Sonnen likes this.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brians View Post
How much does the GS500F go for?

hey if you can afford more CC and you plan to upgrade anyways why not

500 is still not too over the top to start with.
I am seeing a few with decent amount of miles (8000 miles) go for $2500-$2800. What do you think?

The only other concent I have is the insurance for a 500cc bike vs 250cc. Will have to wait or my quote to get back. Really interested to see what my premium would look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
Air cooled vs. liquid
Carbs vs. GW250 fuel injection
???s to ponder...

For me, I'd rather have newer tech & reliability. I'm never going to be racing anyone, nor do I ever have a need to go any faster on the top end than the 85-90 mph of the GW250.
I am still doing some research on both carbs vs fuel injection systems. Right now I am finding mix opinions for both. But I do hear that for better performance carbs are the way to go. I wouldn't mind if you can elaborate a bit more I would appreciate the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter090 View Post
If it comes cheaper or for the same price as the GW250, I'd say go for it. Its also a good base on which you can add after market parts if you'd like to. I'd say its more about the price than the extra power though.
It's pretty close in terms of price I would say but one of the things that strikes my mind is new vs old for what I am paying. Although it seems as if the gs500f has no problems with reliability if proper maintenence is practiced. Also since it's almost 10 years old there are tons of aftermarket parts out already not to say that second hand acessories and parts are flooded in the market.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-11-2014, 03:03 PM

its complicated to compare a used motorcycle to a new one

the used one will have good value but there are always risks of buying a used motorcycle

if you want more displacement go for it.
post #7 of 13 Old 02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
What hunter said.
If value is what you're going for and it offers the sort of value you're looking for, then go for it.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Personally I would opt for the new one. I say that because you will have a warranty, and I don't think that power is the most important thing, especially for a new rider. There is also something to be said for the feeling of getting something brand new that you know hasn't belonged to anyone else.

Whatever you choose @Sonnen, please be sure to let us know what you end up deciding on.
Sonnen likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-20-2014, 09:19 AM

the gs500 is a nice bike. i've considered it.

but comparing a 2013 to a 2006 is kind of hard.
post #10 of 13 Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Last thing a newb should care about is gobs of power but having enough power for the long term is important to some. Since if you go too low you might get bored of it quickly

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page