Lowering the RPM's (Rear sprocket) - Page 5 - Suzuki GW250 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 50 Old 09-20-2014, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
going down highway today my speedo showing 75 mph passing most keeping up with the rest not a real issue smooth just holding it hand get tired anyone use one of those throttle thingy?
stock my impac wrench did not arrive this week i hope to try the 16t soon
post #42 of 50 Old 10-08-2014, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
I just put in a 15 tooth sprocket on my GW. Just came back from a ride. I like the taller gears, especially 1st which I used to hate. For me it was so low that it was either lurching or screaming. I would short shift just to get into 2nd. Now it feels more substantial. The whole bike seems bigger. It's much easier to ride the torque curve on the back roads.

I have not been on the interstate yet. I doubt it will be significantly faster even if it is closer to the horsepower peak than with the stock gearing.
thomasdkjensen likes this.
post #43 of 50 Old 10-09-2014, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Any discernible loss in acceleration? Which 16t sprocket did you get and from where? Thanks.

post #44 of 50 Old 05-15-2016, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Hello countersteer I know I'm a little late joining this thread but I just got the bike 2 weeks ago. From what I gather the stock front sprocket is 14 teeth. It sounds like you are pretty happy with the move to a 15 tooth sprocket or did you go even further and get a 16. As it stands (stock) it is way to buzzy at anything over 50-55 mph in top gear. I really only want to make this change once. I'm also aware that changing sprockets without replacing chains can wear all of them out prematurely and want to avoid that if at all possible. My feeling is if done early enough I won't cause this problem. I currently have just over 1400 miles.
post #45 of 50 Old 06-26-2016, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
So it looks like this forum community is really, really small. (not a lot of questions and answers) No real traffic so I'll just continue to write for myself. Since countersteer never answered my question I found a rear sprocket that seems to work great. It's a 41 tooth from the 2010 Suzuki GZ600. Everything fit perfectly. I replaced the DID 116 link chain with a 114 link DID chain and also replaced the front sprocket with a new stock one. Now instead of the speedo reading 10% optimistic it reads 10% pessimistic. All the gears are longer and the bike seems just as fast as before. Only downside so far is now I need to downshift into 5th when climbing the big (Danes Point) bridge here in Jacksonville Florida. It's all good. I got all the parts above for a little over $115.00. The chain and rear sprocket were purchased from Sprocket Center and the front from a local dealer.
post #46 of 50 Old 10-08-2016, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello thomasdkjensen,
I have a new (3 month) Inazuma GW250F,
I am also interested to change the front sprocket to 15T or 16T, but I can't find any local (Israel) garage that has this sprocket in stock. Maybe you can write here the name of you part supplier.
May be another Suzuki model has the same sprockets that feats GW250F?

And another question: is it OK to ride on 9000 rpm for a long time (50-70km) ?
post #47 of 50 Old 11-17-2016, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am still using JT Sprockets JTF434.16 16T from Amazon with over 20k miles!

Mike,

I would say that it is fine to ride at high RPMs <10K but there will definitely be more ride vibration and engine wear over time.
post #48 of 50 Old 11-19-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by docjones View Post
It's a 41 tooth from the 2010 Suzuki GZ600. Everything fit perfectly. I replaced the DID 116 link chain with a 114 link DID chain and also replaced the front sprocket with a new stock one. Now instead of the speedo reading 10% optimistic it reads 10% pessimistic. All the gears are longer and the bike seems just as fast as before.

I am actually thinking about switching to 15T from your bike so I can retain the dampening material (like my old 14T sprocket and going to a 41T like you did.

Hmmm...

Last edited by TarantulaFudge; 11-19-2016 at 03:52 PM.
post #49 of 50 Old 11-28-2016, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So i picked up a 15T sprocket and want to switch it out over the weekend. My only concern is I don't have a way to get a custom washer made but I have read some people just double up on the washer and it works fine. Anyone chime in on what they did?
post #50 of 50 Old 11-28-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use a 16 tooth front sprocket. I also have a 15 tooth that I tried.
The 15 tooth makes the speedo almost perfect and the bike is much better.
The 16 tooth makes the speedo under read a small amount, and I think the bike is a small amount better again. It puts 5th gear pretty close to where 6th used to be, so you kind have an extra gear. I now shift down to overtake, I did not do that before. But this is a plus, not a minus. It cost about $30 or so. Best mod ever!

The only place you might notice the bike slugish is in first gear, the first time you ride. After that you forget about it and it feels natural.

I cruise at indicated 100kph but I know my real speed is about 105 or so.

I have never heard of anyone cruising at 135kph, you are basically hammering at top speed LOL. I would put a 16 tooth if I were you. Mine is from a TU250. I hope you have screen also, at that speed the windblast must be significant. I got a PUIG screen

Last edited by Russell English; 11-28-2016 at 08:27 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page