post #1 of 10 Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thoughts on 400Km trips

Hey Everyone,

I am looking to do a few trips from Ottawa to Toronto this summer, 400km aprox.

Options are take 400km of 100km/h major highway (highway 416/401)

Or take 360km of 80km/h minor highway (sort of straight shot down highway 7 [much more quiet])

What are your thoughts about which route is better? is it a major issue to take the bike 400 km at 100km/h?
post #2 of 10 Old 05-24-2019, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I didn't test my bike on a highway yet.
So I'm not able to answer you.

My take should certainly be to go by the minor highway.

Code:
       _
     D/_
     /(_`._,-.
___(o) `--'(o)_____
post #3 of 10 Old 05-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
Hey Everyone,

I am looking to do a few trips from Ottawa to Toronto this summer, 400km aprox.

Options are take 400km of 100km/h major highway (highway 416/401)

Or take 360km of 80km/h minor highway (sort of straight shot down highway 7 [much more quiet])

What are your thoughts about which route is better? is it a major issue to take the bike 400 km at 100km/h?
I have a 250F. It just has a sporty fairing. I wanted that just to ease cleaning. Everything else takes longer. Well, it drops just as fast.

So I live in McDonalds Corners, west of you, about an hour and a half drive/ride. I bought the bike two years ago. Watch for deer, no matter which road you're on. 100kph is great for anyone who hasn't hit a deer. Around here, I keep it mellow. I've been here since aboout 2000, and I know the deer crossings.

I suggest that you consider 7 a better road to Toronto. Head to Brockville, see the sights. Good initial objective. Cool lake brease on a hot day. 400 series are filled with drivers who scream along with litttle concern for small machines. You likely won't have a lot of power to rush out of their impatience. Conversely, 7 has so many scenic stops.

Buses use 7 a lot and go down 37 to 401. Nice and dull, though and you end up on 401. With the small bike you will likely want more breaks. I knew someone who rod to Texas from Toronto and back on a 175. Talk about "Billy Numbutt". In the end, 7 is not much longer. And you arrive alive.

Consider determining where Suzuki dealers are enroute. Just in case. Im not sure how will be the wind buffeting on that machine, either.

What a great machine, though. It's super for in-town. I find the revs too high for me, and am thinking (I think a long time before acting, though) of changing the gearing. Everyone says it can take the revs though. My ear isn't used to it.

The roads around here are a bike rider's destination. Give it a look.

If I can help any way, lemme know. I'm not online a lot, so answers aren't immediate.

Congrats, and "See you on the road". Be VISIBLE. BRIGHT IS RIGHT.

This is a Canadian link with fantastic info and knowledge.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Hwy 7 would be a much nicer ride. Small towns every 30 minutes to an hour to stretch your legs. Have done it many times by car.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-19-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
Hwy 7 would be a much nicer ride. Small towns every 30 minutes to an hour to stretch your legs. Have done it many times by car.
I live at the Snow Road area. Lots of deer. Watch for those signs. They're there for a reason.
A little before half way through this link is a pretty humorous reminder of the serious issue of deer. And lots of people feed them, so the deer are at those spots too. I finally hit a pack. I was doing about 60 k in my Soul. Lots of down time. Lots of repair. Chopped off the leg of one deer. The other side hit a second, and about three others headed to the bush. It's the first screeching stop in decades. If I'd been on the GW250, I'd likely be still in hospital or the graveyard. Tread with caution.

https://youtu.be/E_EN9J1PP4o
post #6 of 10 Old 07-24-2019, 07:19 PM

I allow only a technical thought: when I'm driving at 100 km/h my gw250 inazuma is not so good for long distances: no wind protection, noise from the helmet, engine at high revs... would it be me, I'd prefer a shorter and slower tour.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 05:34 AM

I've not had my 250 long but I'd choose the slower (and more relaxed) route. The bike will gladly turn the revs I've found but I'm just more comfortable at slower speeds and stop off once in a while to stretch my legs.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 11:43 AM

I find that a pair of ear plugs are part of my wardrobe. Don't leave home without them. You squeeze em between your fingers until they're pretty narrow. Then with the opposite hand, pull the ear upward. Then insert the plug -slowly and gently- you're supposed to have it just short of the ear drum. It takes some time for the plug to expand, but you'll notice the sound difference for sure. Remove them at coffee breaks. You'll notice a lot of Harley riders will talk loud and ask you "What?". That's what you want to avoid. Changing your head angle make a wind-noise difference too, but comfort is paramount. Varying you posture, moving forward or back makes a diff as well.

This is actually a pretty quiet bike, though. Still, long term and volume affect hearing.

Keep an eye on your tire pressure as well. Huge handling payoff.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM

Each time I return from a ride, I put a soft cloth on the faceshield for 5 minutes. Always wipe only in one direction and use a soft, dry cloth to finish in the same direction. This makes the next ride easy because you can see, even in early or late hours. First thing you do in a spill is stretch your arms out. There's the hand heading to the peeler. Always wear gloves, or you won't be able to write your name or take off cloths or pee.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-14-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update: at the 6000km mark and about to have service done(I made an error reading the manual, so it’s about 1000km late). Had the first service done on time at 1000km, then an oil change done at 3500, so I am not terribly worried.

So far I have done some days driving around for 5 hours at a time, up to around 400km in a day. Bike seems to go just fine keeping it on 80km roads (going the exact speed limit of course)

1 trip to and from Toronto. (800 km total over the weekend), with another coming up in a week. Found a new tailbag to avoid the weight of a backpack. Should make a world of difference.

Bike seems to be rattling from the clutch cover when clutch is pulled in at a stop light. Seems to do this intermittently, but less common when engine is hot after or during a long ride. I told my service advisor, they said it wasn’t normal so of well. A frustrating point is the in accuracy of the speedometer, but again, something to live with.

I have been considering the 15T front sprocket. What are everyone’s thoughts on making that change. Looking to still get anther 2000km out of the season, hoping that this week keep the revs down and correct the Speedometer.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page